Welcome to a new Wishlist Wednesday series!
In this introductory post, we set the guidelines for this wishlist. A first glance at the title of this particular list easily brings to mind over a hundred different entries not just ten. Let’s narrow that down with some criteria:
- It must be a factory car, not a track-day car. It must also be street legal in the United States (Cuz I’m not flying somewhere just for a test drive. Stateside – yes; out of country – no).
- Has to be reasonably expensive that someone of average income ($50k/year in the US) wouldn’t normally be able to purchase the car without pinching pennies to afford it. I’m putting the base price minimum at $75,000.
- Has to be reasonably available for a test drive. This means at least 1,000 cars made of that particular model.This usually allows a handful of cars to change hands with some regularity allowing potential buyers to examine the vehicle.
- I’m limiting myself to one model per manufacturer.
- Also, supercars and hypercars shouldn’t usurp this list, which coincidentally don’t normally meet the production number requirement. So the maximum base model price cannot exceed $250,000.
- One exception I’m allowing is if the vehicle is available for rent from one of those supercar rental businesses in the big cities.
Most of the initial candidates were whittled down to premium sports cars and entry level supercars. Of course each entry will include my motivation for getting behind the wheel even if only for a few minutes to an hour.
Here’s my initial rough list before the guidelines were in place:
- Dodge Hellcat
- Mustang GT350R
- BMW i8, Z8
- Mercedes AMG GT
- McLaren F1, P1
- Lamborghini V12 car
- DeTomasa Pantera
- Koenigsegg Regera
- Aston Martin Vanquish
- Pagani Huayra
- Saleen S7
- Lexus LFA
- Shelby Cobra
- Porsche 918
- Audi R8
After applying my rules some were removed altogether while others were replaced with a similar model. Before we get to the number one spot, I’ll include some honorable mentions with reasons why they were excluded.
Check out the next post for the first entry!